Contributions to Society
The recipient should be one whose talent, efforts, and work has in a fundamental way advanced the field of interpreting; whose accomplishment has been acknowledged by professional peers and the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community; and whose work has and will continue to have a lasting impression on interpreters, the profession, and society.
The Shirley Herald Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes outstanding interpreters whose pioneering spirit and excellent work and dedication to the field throughout their careers has improved our society and inspired others.
Candidates for this award are role models in the field of interpreting. The recipient’s, an Arkansan, life-long career had a significant impact on society as a whole. The Shirley Herald Lifetime Achievement Award shall be given to a person whose efforts have changed, shaped, or anyway affected the field of interpreting or the lives of interpreters. The candidate for this award has been and may continue to interpret in Arkansas. This interpreter will have at a minimum 25 years interpreting experience. The recipient should be a member of ARID in good standing at the time they are nominated and chosen to receive this recognition. The Shirley Herald Lifetime Achievement Award may also be given posthumously.
Nominations will be accepted and held until 4 months before a biennial conference. At that point the chair will ask that a committee be selected to review the nomination. The ARID Board will select a committee of six individuals consisting of:
- Three interpreters who are ARID voting members
- One ARID member who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Two consumers of interpreting services from the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community
These individuals will review the nomination(s) and submit their decision to or not to support a/the nomination. The ARID Board will review the supported nomination and ratify the winner, who will then be honored during a biennial conference.
- Review the materials necessary to complete the nomination process.
- Include the following materials in your nomination packet (in order):
- Nomination form – complete, sign, and date the form. Available for download on the ARID website.
- Letter – Please explain why you are nominating this individual.
- Description of candidate’s qualifications: Please tell us why the Arkansas Registry of Interpreters should recognize your candidate for the Deaf.
- Include a description of the interpreter’s accomplishments and their impact upon and/or benefit to society (not to exceed 750 words).
- Biographical summary: Please highlight your candidate’s most significant distinctions, within the following areas, on one single-sided 8.5 x 11 page (bullet format is preferred): experience, education, awards & distinctions, workshops & conferences, and service to the deaf community as well as other interpreters.
- Candidate’s curriculum vitae or resume: Please submit no more than five single-sided 8.5 x 11” pages.
- Letters of recommendation: Please submit two additional letters of recommendation (beside your own letter). Recommenders should describe their affiliation with the candidate and provide their name, title, organization, department, address, telephone, email and fax number. Each letter of recommendation should be no more than two single-sided 8.5 x11” pages.
- Other pertinent materials (within guidelines): You have the option of providing materials supporting the candidate’s achievements, such as professional articles, press clippings, or Conference materials showing presenter’s title/bio information. Additional materials should be single-sided 8.5 x 11″ pages; please do not include more than 10 pages total.
- Send one original (unbound, single-sided) and six bound copies of the complete nomination packet to the Arkansas Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf – Attention: Nominations Chair.
- Nominations must be complete and conform to the above criteria. No supplemental information will be accepted unless re-quested by ARID. Nominations will be accepted until 4 months before a biennial conference. Any nominations received after that time frame will be returned.